Thursday, February 17, 2011

Guest Blog: AmyZ!

Petals welcomes BACK our favorite Chi-Town Guest Blogger; AmyZ!

{AmyZ, originally from Ohio, is an amazing artist in the windy city & also works as an archive coordinator @ The Art Institute of Chicago. You can admire her work HERE. Many thanks to Clare Britt for her photography}

Petals: Welcome back to As Good As Her Petals, Amy! We're excited to see you again :)

AmyZ: It is great to be back, Sarah :) Thanks so much for having me!

Petals: What's been going on in your style world since you visited us last (fav new gifts/purchases, revelations, experiments, inspirations, etc?)

AmyZ: My style world has been ROCKED by the Chicago winter! In the past, I haven’t been one to dress appropriately for cold weather, (stubbornness is not my greatest characteristic) but this year I decided to embrace the opportunity to layer, mix and match and have fun with all that winter wardrobes have to offer. I am IN LOVE with sweater dresses. They are warm and comfortable while being super duper cute! I find they are very versatile as well... you can dress em up with black tights and hot shoes or dress them down a bit with fun tights, a thin cardigan and boots. A winter trend I’m in a total groove with is the glorious comeback of leg warmers and thigh-high socks! So fun and spunky! Not to mention *gasp* practical when you want to wear skirts in the winter. I also have a revived love of mini skirts - funny thing to discover in the winter, I know! Mini skirts with a cropped sweater and tights all the way, baby.



Petals: Last time we saw you, you were trying out red lipstick as a new makeup staple, have you stuck with it?

AmyZ: I have stuck with it! It has actually become the style signature I was hoping to create. I really like the idea of creating a signature that becomes your ‘look’. Think Jackie O and her sunglasses or Gwen Stefani with her red lips/sunglasses combo. It’s an easy way to look together no matter what with just one simple constant. I get complimented on the red lips more than I thought I would and have even turned a few of my friends on to the idea of bold lips! One of my best friends in New York went out and bought the exact same brand/color I wear after I had visited :)

Petals: What are you most going to miss in your wardrobe as winter passes us by in the next few months?

AmyZ: I am really going to miss my growing collection of tall socks. But I figure the thinner ones can still get some action in the spring time so not all is lost!

Petals: What are you most looking forward to as spring and summer approach?

AmyZ: I can’t wait to wear my black blazer again. It is such an easy thing to throw on over a cute dress or with some tight pants to really pull an outfit together. I’m also ready to start wearing sandals. It seems that I move from sandals straight to boots and vice versa. Love boots. Love sandals. It’s the in between shoes I struggle with.

Petals: I plan on doing some posts in the near future on style inspiration ~ where do you find your biggest inspirations have come from and what are your favorite places to from which to draw new perspectives?

AmyZ: I’m really into the Mod look of the 60’s. It is such a wonderful aesthetic where edginess and femininity come together in the best way possible! Even in its most outrageous moments, there is still a sleek sophistication upheld. And the ‘cool’ factor is undeniable! I like to keep all these characteristics in mind when pulling together a look on any particular day. I like simple lines and shapes that have a bit of a twist. Edgy without being garish - grounded somehow in structure or color but accented with pattern and/or accessory.

As far as gaining new perspectives, I take in everything my peepers come across! I honestly don’t buy fashion magazines; But, I am a keen observer and am constantly taking note of what various people are donning - whether it be an art student, famous actors, musicians, a sales associate at a boutique, or some anonymous person on the bus. Some of my best fashion do’s (and dont’s!) come from the city streets!

Petals: I believe you also had some gorgeous combat boots on your wishlist, are they still a dream of yours?

AmyZ: The dream has become a reality!! I found some Steve Madden boots that had it all... and got them at a discount! I wandered into Nordstrom Rack (this somehow happens every other week) with no intentions of buying anything. I was checking to see if any new shoes has been shipped in since my last visit and what should I find? The boots I wanted! The only ones of their kind and they were in my size! You gotta love when the universe reciprocates a vibe you throw out. I got them for a little over half of what I would have spent in the Steve Madden store.

fashion scarf, vintage - great grandmother’s • cardigan, BP. Nordstrom • cami, T.J. Maxx • skirt, Forever 21 • leggings and thigh-high socks, Apt.9 Kohl’s • outerwear ~ coat, Andrew Marc • fur infinity scarf, Jocelyn @ Intermix • boots, Steve Madden • rings, vintage - gifted • earrings, gifted • metal belt, vintage find • lip stain, Stila - ‘Lover’ • nail color, NYC New York Color - ‘Lincoln Center’

photos by Clare Britt.

6 comments:

  1. AmyZ, thanks for your great comments and inspiration. I certainly understand the drive to find a 'signature look' and your take on red lipstick has me wanting to give it a shot. Great pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she amazing! Thanks again, AmyZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, thank YOU! I really enjoyed contributing. Allison, go ahead an give it a try! You may just stumble upon something fantastic :) I think lip stains (as opposed to lipstick) are the way to go for sure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that analogy you shared! Thank you! And good for you for giving up fast food. I decided to give up the one thing that I always turn to instead of falling on my knees in prayer... desserts and sweets! Eek! I am the BIGGEST sweet tooth but I use it as a coping mechanism, so I'm excited to see where this takes my faith. I also decided to give up all and any negative body-image talk (aka: "fat talk" as I call it). I want to see how 40 days of NO negative image talk affects my outlook on life. Keep me updated on your Lent endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a great giveaway going on! 2necklaces and a foulard! U'll love it! Please, come follow me... http://desperate4fashion.blogspot.com
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! I, too, have colored my hair DOZENS of times. This is actually the first cut and color that I've stuck with for more than half a year. I'm so excited that your going to be a hair dresser! Good for you!

    ps. Did you ever get that ring in the mail?

    ReplyDelete